make over

A horrid band of wintry rain has brought me indoors. Progress has slowed in the garden but we are getting on with other projects. The dining room is in focus at the moment. The country style pine chairs are going and I have been searching for a contemporary print that will look well in a neutral room. I had thought of a blind as curtains can look fussy but I didn't want the shallow window height reduced so I am going for curtains to lengthen the window. We looked in John Lewis; they have lots of fabric but it was hard to find something that wasn't either traditionally English or Orla Kiely-ish. I prefer an ivory or white background too. Then there's the scale of the print to consider. I find even a length held up doesn't show how the fabric will look when it's folded by the curtain heading. You need to tuck in the cut end of the fabric on a high shelf, for example, with the bolt on the floor, arrange the folds and stand back to see the effect you will get. I've gone for a Swedish botanical fabric which has a lot of grey but other colours too, on an off white background. I am looking forward to hanging them ready for Easter. The shop in Ledbury is a favourite of ours; I remember choosing quite a few Christmas presents there couple of years ago.  

Hopefully I will also find time to make a wall hanging for our bedroom using this fragment of an old Turkish towel. The embroidery is lovely and the pink and metallic threads make it look special. 

We are off to see Patrick in Amsterdam this week and I am very excited. I still have quite a few museums to see and he is able to spend more time with us during the day as he has a little more flexibility now he's given up his hotel job to concentrate on his studies. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Comments are much appreciated and I will comment back I promise.