Hakuna matata (part one)

meaning 'no worries' fits well with our actual experience on safari in Northern Tanzania. I had been concerned about being safe and how natural the habitats would be. Hakuna matata. We were delighted with the four game reserves we visited, each with their speciality. My favourites were the Serengeti which is huge (the size of the Netherlands); experiencing the scale of wild cattle herds on their migration journeys needs to be seen to be believed.  Zebra are one of my favourites - they live side by side with buffalo and wildebeest keeping all of them safe from predators with their amazing eyesight. I love the elephant and antelope of different sizes too - the one on the first one photo is a gazelle and on the second is the smallest one in the family, called a dik-dik. The other favourite reserve was the crater in Ngorongoro. I felt I'd gone back a long time in natural history. It was here we saw the last of our big five, the black rhino.The crater floor is like a lunar landscape with ribbons of water and crystalline deposits reflecting light, forests and wooded slopes to the side climbing to the clouds and chilly temperatures. We were also privileged to visit indigenous people and I spent an afternoon chatting to Masai men and women about children and pets mine and theirs. 

We took a large number of photos and I am starting to organise them for different purposes. These I took with my little point and shoot and there are more I took with my phone on IG. I will keep some for the December collage, calendars and the photobook I am compiling. David has a trove of photos too but we were mindful to look at the animals away from the lens and some of our best moments were spent observing giraffe, lions, baboons and lots more, just doing their thing.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Comments are much appreciated and I will comment back I promise.